Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships for Foreign Scholars
Each year the Swiss Confederation awards Government Excellence Scholarships to promote international exchange and research cooperation between Switzerland and over 180 other countries. Recipients are selected by the awarding body, the Federal Commission for Scholarships for Foreign Students (FCS).
List of the participating university
|University of Basel / University of Bern / University of Fribourg / University of Geneva / University of Lausanne / University of Lucerne / University of Neuchâtel / University of St. Gallen / University of Zurich / Università della Svizzera italiana / Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne (EPFL) /Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich (ETHZ) /Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies (IHEID)|
30th November, 2017 (deadline varies according to country)
Any program offered by the participating university
PhD, Post Doc and Research fellowship
Who can Apply
Select your country of origin:
Check the application deadline and the different types of scholarship on offer. These vary according to country. You will also find details of what to do next and where to get more information.
- Master’s degree or equivalent university degree recognised by the Swiss university. The applicant must have achieved this degree before the start of the scholarship next September. As a proof the degree has to be submitted to the Federal Commission for Scholarships before the start of the scholarship.
- Applicant’s date of birth after 31 December 1982.
- Applicants who have been in Switzerland for more than one year at the beginning of the scholarship in September are not eligible.
- Applicants must provide a letter from an academic host professor (including her/his short CV) at the chosen Swiss university confirming why she/he is willing to supervise and support the PhD thesis. Without such support, the application will be rejected.
- Applicants must have a research proposal including a timeframe. This is the centrepiece of the application. The applicant must devote all required attention to it.
- Applicants must be in command of the necessary language skills required for the PhD studies/ research.
- Applicants who have already benefited from a Swiss Government Excellence Scholarship are not eligible to apply for a second scholarship.
- Scholarship holders are expected to move to Switzerland during their grant period.
|· The scholarship amounts to a monthly payment of CHF 1’920.
· For non-EU and non-EFTA grantees only: mandatory Swiss health insurance is paid by the FCS.
· There are no family allowances.
· Scholarship holders from outside continental Europe receive a flight allowance (lump sum) for a ticket back to their country of origin (provided at the end of the scholarship).
|· Special CHF 300 housing allowance (paid once at the beginning of the scholarship).
· One-year half-fare public transportation card.
· Support services and various trips, dinners and sightseeing tours organised for Swiss Government Excellence Scholarship holders.
· PhD scholarship holders may request a supplementary allowance for fieldwork. For fieldtrips lasting longer than 2 months the scholarship amount will be reduced to 50%.
How to Apply
The application package can be obtained by e-mail from the Swiss Embassy in your country.
For the full instructions please visit your country of origin database link above.
Visit Official Announcement
For more information visit the official website
Tips & Tricks
" Stand out. Demonstrate your unique blend of skills and experience. ... Keep it simple. ... Don't be generic. ... Check and check again. ... Update. ... Use a template... ”
- CV Tips (MONSTER)
" Don't make excuses. ... Speaking of usernames, make sure yours is professional. ... Dress the part. ... Think about your location. ... Use a headset. ... Maintain Eye Contact. ... Handle any tech glitches with grace. ... Avoid avoidable tech glitches by practicing before. ... Eliminate interruptions. ... ”
-Skype Interview Tips (Michaela Gianotti)
CEO, IT Assistancebd
" Very helpful initiative and perfect guidance for students planning to go abroad. They provided excellent support and supervision free of cost!! ”
Engr. Ashiqur Rahman
Ambassador, EMA Bangladesh
" I would like to thank you for the assist you have given for higher study seeker. Your style and method is very effective, helping youth to refocus their energies and complete some major goals in their busy life. I like the idea- Never Give Up! ”