Language Test?



As an international student from a non-English country, you must have to take a language test to show your proficiency in English if the medium of education is going to be English. If the medium of instruction is in another language than English you have to show your proficiency in that particular language like Germen, French or Turkish. However, without a few exception most of the cases the medium is English and the required tests are IELTS/TOEFL. TOEFL is mainly required by North American universities and accepted by most of the renowned universities. Although some European university might not accept TOEFL buy IELTS is universally accepted by all institutions. Generally, the threshold for IELTS is 6.5 in a scale of 0-9 and for TOEFL is 80 in a scale of 0-120. The speaking section has a specified minimum limit for students applying for the teaching assistantship.



These are some standardized tests required for different level and program of study. As we know, there’s no admission test for higher study in most of the universities but these tests are regarded as the admission tests. These particular tests are mainly required by North American universities although some other university also asks for these. SAT is required for undergrad study in North America. GMAT is required for higher study in business school and LSAT is required by the law school. But GRE is accepted as an equivalent test for GMAT or LSAT and widely required by almost every program in US universities. Both the GRE general and subjective tests help to reinforce applicants’ profile. For the preparation of these tests see our website.